Skip to main content
GPS 210, L. Mills
Paper 1: Research Essay and Presentation
Overview: You will be responsible for researching, writing a paper, and giving a 5-7-minute presentation on a topic from the list below. The paper should be 7-9 pages in length and should use SCHOLARLY SOURCES ONLY (at least six). If you’re unclear about what counts as a scholarly source, SEE ME.
Documentation Style: MLA
- The Trojan War: Fact and Fiction
- Who were the Minoans and Mycenaeans? What were their cultures and civilizations like?
- What is Greek mythology? What are its origins? How has it influenced our culture and literature?
- How did the Greeks (and others in the ANE) envision the afterlife?
- What do we know about Rome’s beginning? How did it become a world empire?
- What was it like to be a woman in Augustan Rome?
- What was it like to live in the Augustan Roman Empire?
- What was Christianity’s place in the Roman Empire from the 1st to the 4th century?
- What were the “Fall” of the Western Roman Empire and its aftermath like?
- How were Roman citizens educated in Late Antiquity (late 3rd century to mid-7th century A.D.)?
- What are the origins of Islam? How did it spread?
- How did Dante’s life influence The Divine Comedy?
- What are the characteristics of the medieval romance?
- What is a fabliau?
- What was the European Renaissance?
- What sources did Shakespeare use for his plays, particularly Hamlet?
- What was the Enlightenment and how did it influence European culture, especially literature?
- What was the Romantic Movement and how did it influence European culture, especially literature?
- Who was Franz Kafka and how did his life influence his literature?
- What was the Women’s Rights Movement? How did it influence literature?
- What is Modernism? What role did it play in European culture, especially literature?
- What is postmodernism? How has it influenced literature?
- Who was Jorge Luis Borges? What were his influences and how did he influence 20th- and 21st-century writers?
- Describe the history and culture of Nigeria
Starting Research Question
What is Roman mythology? What are its origins? How has it influenced our culture and literature?
Ethel K. Smith Library
PO Box 159
110 Church Street, Wingate NC 28174
Wingate, NC 28174