GPS 210, L. Mills
Paper 1: Research Essay and Presentation
Overview: You will be responsible for researching, writing a paper, and giving a 5-7-minute presentation on a topic from the list below. The paper should be 7-9 pages in length and should use SCHOLARLY SOURCES ONLY (at least six). If you’re unclear about what counts as a scholarly source, SEE ME.
Documentation Style: MLA
- The Trojan War: Fact and Fiction
- Who were the Minoans and Mycenaeans? What were their cultures and civilizations like?
- What is Greek mythology? What are its origins? How has it influenced our culture and literature?
- How did the Greeks (and others in the ANE) envision the afterlife?
- What do we know about Rome’s beginning? How did it become a world empire?
- What was it like to be a woman in Augustan Rome?
- What was it like to live in the Augustan Roman Empire?
- What was Christianity’s place in the Roman Empire from the 1st to the 4th century?
- What were the “Fall” of the Western Roman Empire and its aftermath like?
- How were Roman citizens educated in Late Antiquity (late 3rd century to mid-7th century A.D.)?
- What are the origins of Islam? How did it spread?
- How did Dante’s life influence The Divine Comedy?
- What are the characteristics of the medieval romance?
- What is a fabliau?
- What was the European Renaissance?
- What sources did Shakespeare use for his plays, particularly Hamlet?
- What was the Enlightenment and how did it influence European culture, especially literature?
- What was the Romantic Movement and how did it influence European culture, especially literature?
- Who was Franz Kafka and how did his life influence his literature?
- What was the Women’s Rights Movement? How did it influence literature?
- What is Modernism? What role did it play in European culture, especially literature?
- What is postmodernism? How has it influenced literature?
- Who was Jorge Luis Borges? What were his influences and how did he influence 20th- and 21st-century writers?
- Describe the history and culture of Nigeria