Skip to main content
Finding useful articles with MLA IB!
- Click on the Advanced Search link located beneath the basic search box on the MLA IB landing page.
- To make a good search here, we'll use the search builder to group similar search terms inside of parentheses separated by OR boolean operators. We'll link these groups together with ANDs to get the following search: (medieval OR "middle ages") AND ("gender role*" OR "sex role*"). We also use truncation on the end of role to get both singular and plural of the word.
- Repeat in additional rows as necessary.
- If you desire, you can take advantage of MLA IB specific limiters. Search for sources based on the Genre or the Period associated with a work.
- Now click the Search button.
Interpreting your results:
The main column on the page consists of the results of your search. You can sort the results by publication or relevance, and limiters that can be used to narrow your search results appear in the left column of the page.
The limiters are comprehensive, the options available to you appear in the table below.
When you find an article that interests you:
- To preview an article, you can mouse-over the icon. A small window will appear You'll see the article's abstract, subject headings and citation information.
- Click on the icon to access full-text of the article.
Tip: If you have a choice to use a PDF or an html version of an article choose the PDF for accurate page numbers!
- If a full-text version of your article is not available, click on the Full-Text Finder icon to search for your article in other linked databases.
- If there is no online access, don't forget to double-check Periodicals by Title to see if the Library has a print subscription.
If the library does not have access to an article in any form, copy the citation information into the online Interlibrary Loan form.
- If you make an EBSCO account, you can make folders and organize your research. Place articles in folders by clicking the icon and following the prompts!
- If you are looking for additional material that the EKS does not possess, feel free to check WorldCat.org to identify material for ILL.
Ethel K. Smith Library
PO Box 159
110 Church Street, Wingate NC 28174
Wingate, NC 28174